I recently did what’s called “The Big Chop” in the natural hair community. Essentially, I cut several inches of my long (and sadly damaged) curly hair, completely off. The intention of “The Big Chop” was to start fresh without having any damaged ends. Since cutting my hair and now rocking a pixie cut, I have been trying new products in my hair routine to keep my hair healthy and to prevent future damage!
In today’s article, I tried three hair products from Evalectric and added them into my daily routine. If you want to see if these products worked for me and how I incorporated the Evalectric Hair Serum, the Evalectric Hair Mask, and the Evalectric Nourishing & Moisturizing Conditioner into my hair regime then just keep reading!
Evalectric Hair Serum
The first product from Evalectric that I tried was the Evalectric Hair Serum. I was honestly so excited to try this product! I hadn’t had much luck in the past when shopping for a hair serum, and I had heard great things about this one. I tried this hair serum for two weeks and was quite hopeful about how it was going to work.
What is a Hair Serum?
Hair serums are silicone based products that are meant to seal and protect your hair from heat damage. The goal of hair serums are to typically leave a shiny effect on your hair when the light reflexes against it.
During the two weeks, I found that it was a very versatile product and it always left a subtle sheen to my hair. The Evalectric Hair Serum was so beneficial for my hair and beauty routine because like previously mentioned, there are several different ways that it can be used! I love that I only need a few Evalectric products in my arsenal, to complete my whole hair routine. Below are a few different ways that I put my bottle of Evalectric Hair Serum to the test!
Ways to Use a Hair Serum
- Apply hair serum before shampooing to act as a barrier.
- Hair serum can be mixed with a hair mask to make a deeply hydrating cream.
- It can be added before using hot tools, like a flat iron or curling iron to reduce heat damage.
- After your hair is styled to keep frizz at bay, apply a small amount of hair serum to your hair. (Pro tip: warm up the product in your hand first, before applying it to your hair. This helps your hair absorb the product even more!)
- When mixed with hot oil, Evalectric Hair Serum can be used for a hot oil hair treatment. (Two great oils that can be used for this are olive oil and castor oil)
Hair serum is a great multi use product and I particularly loved using the hair serum from Evalectric! I feel that Evalectric Hair Serum provides unique benefits compared to other hair serum’s I’ve purchased in the past. I have short curly hair and found that many serum’s would leave a greasy finish to my hair. The Evalectric Hair Serum felt very fresh and light. I love that the product made my hair shiny, without weighing it down.
One night, I quickly made a “deeply hydrating cream” with the Evalectric Hair Serum and the Evalectric Hair Mask mixed together. This mixture honestly did an overhaul on my hair! I let the “deeply hydrating cream” stay on my hair overnight. When I woke up, my hair felt extremely soft and nourished. This would be a great trick to try if you suffer from heat damaged hair or hair that has been dyed several times. I feel that by adding the Evalectric Hair Serum to the hair mask, my hair benefited so much!
After researching, I also found that there are a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to hair serum. These do’s and don’ts ensure that you are getting all of the benefits that your serum has to offer!
The Do’s & Don’ts of Hair Serum
- DO: Do wait a few seconds to apply the product after warming it up in your hand. This gives the product time to soften up and it becomes easier to work with. Try waiting for about 5-6 seconds before applying.
- DON’T: Don’t apply too much hair serum. Use only a pea sized amount of product if you have fine and thin hair. If your hair is on the thicker side, a quarter-sized amount of hair serum is all that you need.
- DO: Do wash your hair before applying a hair serum. Another great benefit of the Evalectric Hair Serum, is its ability to act like a barrier between the outside pollution and your hair. By starting with fresh hair, it allows the hair serum to fight off environmental aggressors to the max!
- DON’T: Don’t apply hair serum directly to your roots. This may cause unwanted results, for a lightweight barrier apply hair serum from the middle of your hair and down; focusing specifically at the ends.
Evalectric Hair Mask
Another product I tried from the Evalectric Hair Care line was their hair mask. As a girl with curly hair I am definitely no stranger to hair masks. Although many of them can essentially do the same thing (i.e. hydrate you hair) I was surprised by how unique the Evalectric Hair Mask was! This hair mask not only hydrates my hair but it also helps prevent future damage from happening in the first place. This is because their hair mask contains two key ingredients that are jam packed with benefits: argan oil and panthenol.
Originating from Morocco, argan oil is extracted from argan trees and has been used for centuries for its moisturizing and healing effects. Argan oil has been shown to be rich in vitamin A, vitamin E and antioxidants; all of which are very therapeutic. When argan oil is applied topically, the tocopherol from the Vitamin E helps to not only boost healthy cell production but also promotes healthy hair and skin. Talk about triple score!!
Here are a few ways argan oil is best used:
- Use argan oil as an overnight deep conditioning mask. Apply argan oil to the ends of your hair, wrap it up in a shower cap and go to sleep. In the morning your hair will feel deeply nourished.
- Argan oil can also be used as a leave in treatment. For short hair add about 1/2 a drop of argan oil to your palm, for longer hair add 1 drop. Warm up in the palm of your hands, then rake the argan oil through your hair.
The other key ingredient in the Evalectric Hair Mask is: panthenol. After researching, I discovered that panthenol is a form of vitamin B5 that is often added into products for it’s moisturizing and lubricating effects. Scoring a 1, on the EWG Cosmetics database makes this ingredient classified as expected to be non-toxic. Panthenol has been shown to improve the overall appearance of hair. It does this by increasing shine, softness, and strength. Similar to the Evalectric Hair Serum, the panthenol ingredient in this hair mask acts as a barrier between environmental pollutants and your hair. Lastly, one study found that panthenol actually slowed down and hid the effects of thinning hair! After learning about these key ingredients and how beneficial they are I was so excited to give this hair mask a try. After using the Evalectric Hair Serum I felt that my hair was: smoother, easier to comb, more hydrated, shinier, and overall more manageable.
After using the Evalectric Hair Serum I felt that my hair was: smoother, easier to comb, more hydrated, shinier, and overall more manageable.
Hair Mask Tips
- Shampoo and condition your hair after using a hair mask. This way you can remove any product build up.
- Make sure to concentrate on the ends. Since the end of our hair is the most fragile part, it’s always good to focus most of your attention on the ends.
- Comb the mask all the way through your hair with a wide tooth comb (they help prevent damage). This way the product is also getting applied to the rest of your hair.
- You can sleep in your mask for a deeper hydration, but it doesn’t have to be an all day event. The Evalectric Hair Mask still works great even if you only have a few minutes.
Evalectric Nourishing & Moisturizing Conditioner
The last product I tried from Evalectric was their Nourishing & Moisturizing Conditioner. Again, being a girl with very naturally curly hair I was a little hesitant to try a new conditioner. Often times I find that many conditioners aren’t hydrating enough. Since I was on the hunt for an all new hair care routine, with high hopes, I chose this conditioner. The Evalectric website stated that this conditioner was suitable for all hair types and contains a very hydrating oil: olive oil.
After just a few days of trying this conditioner I was already pleasantly surprised at how fast my hair began to feel stronger and healthier. After adding this conditioner to my daily shower routine my hair has become shinier and smoother even without putting additional products on my hair. I truly think this is due to Evalectric’s unique nourishing conditioner formula that contains the well known and highly beneficial oil, olive oil.
According to New York Based naturopath, Sally Warren, Ph.D, olive oil has very high amounts of vitamin E, monounsaturated essential fatty acids, and other acids like palmitic acid and oleic acid (emollients). The emollients found in olive oil act as a natural conditioner and the vitamin E actually wards off unwanted free radicals from outside pollution and the sunlight! How cool? After two weeks I was hooked! The Evalectric conditioner helps hydrate my curls and keeps them strong.
After all this, you’re probably wondering how my hair care routine has changed since using the Evalectric Hair Care line. I think these products are super easy to use, versatile and are now trusty partners in my hair product arsenal.
My Deep Conditioning Hair Care Routine
I like to do this deep conditioning routine once a week to keep my hair healthy and to prevent future damage.
- First I combine a pea-sized amount of Evalectric Hair Serum with about 2/3 cup of the Evalectric Hair Mask together in a bowl, then I set aside.
- Next I like to use my hair steaming tool to open up the hair follicles. If you don’t have a hair steaming tool, a great alternative is to turn on your shower with the bathroom door shut. This allows the steam from the shower to have the same effect on your hair. I do this step for about 10-15 minutes.
- After the hair follicles have opened up, I then apply the “deeply hydrating cream” I made in step one, directly to my hair.
- I usually cover my hair with a shower cap or wrap it up in an old t-shirt, to keep all the heat and moisture in. This mask only needs a minimum of a few minutes to work but I usually let it sit overnight.
- I then rinse out my hair with shampoo (Evalectric also carries shampoo in the hair care line and I think I’ll try that product next once my current shampoo bottle is empty).
- Lastly, I apply Evalectric Nourishing & Moisturizing Conditioner to my hair and allow it to sit in my hair for a few minutes in the shower, then I wash it away!
Voilá! That’s how I get my hair deeply hydrated and nourished using the Evalectric Hair Care line. These two weeks have been such a fun experience for my hair care regime. My hair has gotten shiner, smoother, and more manageable since incorporating Evalectric products.
I am so glad I’ve found such an easy to use and effective line of hair care products. I am so glad they are now apart of my haircare routine on my natural hair journey.
Have you tried any products from Evalectric Hair Care? What are your thoughts? Discuss it with me down in the comment section.